Melaka celebrates 3rd anniversary as world heritage site
MELAKA, July 8 (Bernama) — Melaka Yang Dipertua Negeri Tun Mohd Khalil Yaakob, several other state dignitaries and some 3,000 people attended the third anniversary celebration of the declaration of Melaka City as World Heritage Site, held at the Independence Memorial in Bandar Hilir, here, tonight.
The celebration this time took them back to the historic pre-independence days where in February 1956, the people welcomed back the Malayan delegation seeking independence for the country led by the late Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al-Haj.
“The situation in Melaka then and now, and the harmony and cooperation among the people of various races is a fine example in creating universal peace,” said Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam in his speech at the event.
He said multiracial unity, peace, cooperation and tolerance had brought prosperity to Malaysia compared to the turbulent situation in some countries due to ethnic strife or sectarian violence.
“By preserving peace, prosperity and harmonious living will prevail which will help us create a stronger nation,” he added.
Melaka and George Town, Penang were declared World Heritage Sites by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (Unesco) on July 7, 2008.
In conjunction with this year’s celebration, 42 events have been lined up for the whole month of July covering culture, arts and heritage.
More articles under this category >>>
- Attractions in Malacca a major tourist draw
- Zheng He ‘returns’ to Malacca
- Melaka Zoo expects 1 mil visitors this year
- Second Phase Of Melaka River Beautification Project To Be Safari-style
- State govt to take over Zoo Melaka by year’s end
- ‘Eye On Malaysia’ Wheel In Pulau Melaka To Operate In April
- Melaka set to draw more tourists from Singapore
- Melaka Set For 12.5 Million Tourist Arrivals This Year
- Fire razes iconic Lido Theatre in Malacca
- UNESCO gives a new breed of life to tourism in Melaka